Thursday, January 15, 2015

A Journey Worth Witnessing

Witness1. someone who sees an event and reports what happened.

When I think of the word witness I usually think of someone in a courtroom giving testimony about a certain event or persons because of what they have seen, heard or experienced.  Someone who testifies in court needs to be deemed a reliable source to be considered a credible witness.  They can't just be a casual bystander. A credible witness can decide a case - they are very important. 

But, have you thought about being a witness to someone's earthly life?  What would that look like?

A very dear friend passed from this life and into life eternal with Christ this morning at 6:00 AM.  He was a kind, hard working man, full of love, a noted writer, a volunteer, joker and storyteller.  He gave hugs, shoulder massages, and kisses on the cheek.  He made you feel special.  How do I know these things?  Because I was a witness to his life.  Through our friendship, I got to see it firsthand.  If I were just a bystander, I wouldn't know very much about Harold. But I am glad he took the time to get to know me and allowed me to know him.  We met through a working relationship but in my heart he became like family, even though we didn't see each other outside of that realm.  I truly wonder how much more I could have learned from him if I had explored a deeper friendship with him, or spent time with him outside of work?  How could I have been a better witness to his life's journey?

Being a witness to someone's life, a true friend, requires time and energy.  It requires talking and listening, phone calls, encouraging words, celebrating life's triumphs and mourning when someone else suffers loss.  It is much more than casual.  More than a text or an email.  It's one on one.  It's doing life together.  And as a follower of Christ, it is required.  I should be so invested in the lives of my fellow believers that I am an absolute eye witness to their life...and they to mine. 

I think most people are afraid to explore this kind of friendship.  They don't want to get their hands dirty - they don't want to bear the burden of someone else's messed up life. It's easier to be casual and be a bystander - keep people at arms length.  Who has the time to be a close friend anyway? And furthermore, people certainly don't want anyone to know about their own messy life.  It's much better to give the impression that everything is fine and dandy - you know "I'm fine/your fine" mentality.  I mean, we do claim to be Christians for crying out loud! Aren't we supposed to be perfect? The answer is NO. Friendship INCLUDES flaws and forgiveness.

Taking a leap of faith in friendship, being raw and real, open and honest about who we are takes courage.  It makes you vulnerable.  But being the body of Christ requires more than a casual hello on Sundays or Wednesdays or a "how are you doing"conversation.  Has someone offered you their gift of friendship lately?  Did you plunge in head first or did you tip toe away out of fear of rejection or commitment?

True friendships are well worth the cost.  They give you eyes to the heart of other people.  And the blessing of receiving and giving friendship is a treasured gift, never to be handled with carelessness.  People are craving this kind of friendship in the seat next to you at church and in your Bible Studies.  People want to be known - they don't want to walk this life alone. And in our faith families, of all places, we should be able to find these deep, love filled friendships and people who are willing to take the time to invest. We need each other - we were made to love each other.  Take that first step - witness the miracle of life with someone...it's well worth it.

Thank you Harold for your friendship, love, and poems.  I will never forget you.  I celebrate your life.  I celebrate because you are with Jesus resting with Him in eternal peace today.  Yours was a life worth witnessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment