Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thankful Among the Chaos

November is a great month, don't you think?  In the south, the weather really starts to take notice of us and remembers that we too, need a change among the seasons.  It's a time for settling down and settling in as we look forward to Thanksgiving and then the Christmas Season. For a very short period, we get to see a burst of color here and there in the trees reminding us that nothing lasts forever, not even our glorious summertimes.  With the changes, a new season is ushered in.  A fresh, new, glorious season and an opportunity to be thankful.

This past November brought about so much busyness for me.  I coordinated a Christmas Craft and Home Show at my church.  I spent many hours emailing, advertising, contacting, and assigning.  I have continued to work part-time all while still keeping the grandkids a couple of days a week.  There is always Bible Study and Worship on Sunday and then the extra Bible studies I am a part of.  Ladies Night Out, having company over, birthdays, and other things keep us quite busy and sometimes distract us from keeping our eyes focused on the real goal. 

I am not complaining.  I have loved it all.  The Craft Show was a benefit for a couple adopting.  I got to meet so many new people and see God's hand at work.  My job offers the most flexibility of any job I know and I have a great boss to work for who is always willing to work with me and my schedule.  My Christian Life Group at church is one of my weekly favorites!  A time to get together and discuss real Biblical truths with people who are serious about living their life for Christ.  My other Bible studies offer me friendship, accountability, and a real look at the Christian life.  Ladies night out has offered me the chance to meet other kindred spirits as well as relax and laugh a little more than usual.  Birthdays, company, and grandchildren are all a celebration of life and require no explanation! 

With all that said, sometimes we forget that there is purpose. Not just in the glorious, fun or enjoyable, but even in the mundane. Wiping a toddler's nose with a very bad cold (lol), boring paperwork and computer work that makes your eyes burn and your head tired.  Daily job responsibilities that seem to have no end and no appreciation.  And sometimes, church and meeting with your faith family seems like a chore as you just want to put the covers over your head and roll over for another hour of sleep.  While these things may seem purposeless, it is where God has placed me.  It is where He has asked to use me.  If I view these things as mundane and forget the bigger purpose and plan, it becomes nothing more than a check on my to do list.  I need to remember to be thankful in the process, for it all, and see it in the scheme of the great and Almighty God I serve.  I need to be mindful of the glimpses all around me of God's hand and remember to not get so caught up in the detail that I forget the purpose.

I am thankful for the chaos of November.  I am thankful that busyness doesn't have to give way to more busyness but can come with a purpose and reward.  I am thankful for the learning experiences in November and for all of the people, places, and things God has used to teach me something I would not have otherwise learned while sitting on the sidelines.  I am thankful for the big picture...bringing glory to the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ in all things...no matter how chaotic or ridiculous it seems at the time.  And I am reminded that while details are important, the purpose is greater.

What are you most thankful for this November?

Happy Thanksgiving!

-Tina

1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful friend! I'm overjoyed to hear you are finding your place, or rather God's place for you very fulfilling! Know that I am VERY thankful for our friendship! I treasure you and love you so much! Happy Thanksgiving Ethel! ����

    ReplyDelete